Public Accommodations


We work closely with the city, county, state and federal government to improve the public accommodation for Transgender, Intersex and Gender Nonconforming people to successfully integrate into mainstream society and address discrimination.


Any place that provides goods and services to the gender public is considered a public accommodation governed by California Civil Code 51.   This includes bars, restaurants, grocery stores, health clinics, hospitals, health clubs, homeless shelters and most social and economic services. Transgender, Intersex and Gender Nonconforming people face a high amount of discrimination.  One of the largest misconceptions by the public is the “86” rule that any business can refuse a person service for any reason. If you feel that you are being targeted with discrimination, you have the right to request the business owner to call the police and take a police report. This limits the business owner from making new reasons to justify their conduct in the future.


Recently a federal judge ruled that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 civil protections have been expanded in the word “sex” to also include sexual orientation and gender expression.


If you believe you have been discriminated against, you should immediately file a complaint with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH):


The Transgender Community Coalition •

We are a 501(c) (3) charitable organization